Update from Administrator – August 17, 2021
We hope everyone is doing well and this e-mail finds you and your loved ones healthy. The reason for this e-mail is to inform you a staff member tested positive. We continue to follow DPH guidelines on precautions and testing. This staff member worked on our A-Wing, therefore, visitation on the said wing is on hold for the next two weeks.
Vaccinations – Employees
We will continue to advocate and encourage any staff who have not received their vaccination to do so ASAP. Again, we are working with our pharmacy provider now to conduct additional in-house clinics in the coming weeks as ALL employees in Massachusetts nursing homes (including non-direct care staff) are required to be vaccinated by October 10th. This mandate comes from Governor Baker through an Executive Order. Employees may not otherwise decline the vaccine; only the following exceptions apply:
- Administration is medically contraindicated, which means administration of COVID-19 vaccine is likely to be detrimental to the individual’s health or
- The individual objects to vaccination based on a sincerely held religious belief and the individual is able to perform their essential job functions with a reasonable accommodation that is not an undue burden on the nursing home.
All new employees hired by our center must be fully vaccinated or qualify for an exemption from the requirement as described above prior to being hired by October 10.
- Visitations are only on B & C wings, Visitor must now always wear masks during indoor visitation, regardless of their vaccination status.
- Visitors are still required to complete our COVID-19 screening process, completing our screening questions for COVID-19 and confirm no exposure to others with COVID-19 infection during the prior 14 days prior to a visit.
- Social distancing is still in effect for our visitors – please socially distance from our staff and others not-related to you, especially in common areas and during activities.
- Should a resident or staff member test positive, the unit, floor or care area will suspend visitation on that section until the unit, floor or care area has gone 14 days without a new COVID positive case. This guideline has not changed. Yet another reason for everyone to get vaccinated.
- Compassionate Care visit will NOT be suspended.
COVID Testing / Precautions
- All staff, regardless of vaccination status must participate in weekly surveillance testing beginning August 12, 2021
- Staff may be excluded from surveillance testing participation if they are within three months of being recovered from COVID-19
- Newly admitted residents who are not fully vaccinated must quarantine in a private room, or, if not available, in a room with another resident who has recovered within the previous 3 months
- All staff who are not fully vaccinated before they begin to work each shift must receive a rapid COVID test
- Staff must wear eye protection when providing care for residents
While we are very disheartened by the community COVID numbers and this latest guidance, we remain hopeful that our center will continue to be safe place for you and your loved one and that this will be the last we see of COVID.
Again, please do not hesitate to contact our leadership team with any questions on any of the above items or anything else related to the care of your loved one.